Profiles In Leadership: Nikki Alvarez-SowlesApr 15, 2020
Nichole "Nikki" Alvarez-Sowles, Esq., is the person you want in charge when your organization's goal is to get things done with high-quality, ahead-of-time, and under-budget.
She is not only a gifted administrator; she also has the vision to guide an organization toward forward-thinking policies. Fortunately, she has plenty of experience working in the office of the Pasco County Clerk & Comptroller, having joined as an employee in 2007, becoming criminal courts director in 2009, and serving as chief operations officer from 2010 to 2019—the latter being one of two key positions reporting to the Clerk & Comptroller.
Before entering government service, Nikki practiced as an attorney with Echevarria, Codilis & Stawiarski, P.I., a Tampa-based real estate law firm. She also worked as a real estate development manager for Housing & Education Alliance, Inc., a non-profit organization. Her bachelor's degree is from the University of South Florida, where she majored in political science, and she earned her juris doctorate from Thomas M. Cooley Law School at Western Michigan University.
Nikki's passion for good governance is seen in some of her initiatives at the Clerk & Comptroller's office:
- She set up mechanisms to provide legal resources to unrepresented parties.
- She made many technical improvements, including eFiling in civil and criminal courts, public access to court records online, tax deed sales online, a case management system, and an electronic juror management syste.
- She led the transition away from old, inadequate financial software for the Finance Department, which conducts over $2 billion in transactions annually to a system ready for future growth.
Nikki has also shared her leadership skills with other organizations that are important to justice and quality of life in our community:
- Leadership Pasco, Past President
- West Pasco Bar Association, Member and Past President
- Rotary Club of New Port Richey
- Florida Clerks & Comptrollers' Best Practices Workgroup
- Supreme Court workgroups
- Florida Bar Small Claims Rules Committee
- Pasco-Hernando State College Technical Advisory Committee for Paralegal Studies
- Pasco County School District and Successs Plan Committee
- Housing and Education Alliance, Advisor to the Board of Directors
Nikki Alvarez-Sowles is married and has two children. She lives with her amazing family in Land O'Lakes.
Nikki, we are grateful for your exceptional competence and servant-leadership. Press on!